Thursday, November 14, 2013

The 5 Unforgotten Senses

I have been very consumed this week neglecting my daily blog in the process. I am learning to do my own discipline to obtain and achieve positive objectives for my life. 

I must say, that since I have started this internal process of liberating myself from the Person I Use to Know who was a victim and a survivor; it's been immediately rewarding to me - every second of my day - that this focus has become more fulfilling and entertaining to me than blogging. But I will blog to share my progress but also share some enlightenment to others.

I have come to ponder in thought of how many unconsciously neglect or have forgotten the power of their 5 senses - that do give or take away of our quality of life?

Personally for me and even with medical professionals as my guide - I was not and could not be accepting of their prognosis for me with PTSD. 

I wasn't happy nor thrilled about any medical advisement to taking prescription medications that has produced more harmful side effects in me - that were more restricting than the initial symptoms of conditions I have. 

Nor did I ever feel the effective production of treatments from anything offered. I felt like - though I was being offered the best that PTSD treatments offer civilians medically - that it was not helping me and perhaps, making my symptoms worse indeed. 

I wanted a solution or an effective control that would not limit my life anymore. My current therapist recommends and activates practice of avoidance. This has never sit well with me - as I enjoy people. I enjoy socializing. I like events and community gatherings. I like being active.

The medical treatments of avoidance is to prevent the 5 senses from intense heightening that causes PTSD to be triggered. This heightening of the Fight or Flight Response system causes extreme emotional overloads and sometimes difficulty in awareness when PTSD triggers occur. 

The person loses sense of reality with flashbacks, sleep deprivation caused by nightmares that day time triggers do. It's a horrible medical condition that a survivor endures from trauma. 

It's the mechanics of the human body and chemical brain processings internally to preserve life using whatever means it needs to in order to survive a traumatic experience. There are no simple solutions or fast solutions when overcoming PTSD or seeking to be healed from it.

Personally for my PTSD - I would never be happy trusting any doctors completely. I have seen those who truly are effective in their practices to help their patients learn from their conditions and excel within their medical limits, depending on the trauma and medical damage done to a person and duration of trauma. 

But more cases than not - in my rural area of medical offering - I see and witness the devastation. The people I Use to Know whose lives, personalities, and characteristics of their former selves are unidentifiable anymore. 

Their prescription medications have made them an addict of erratic mood behaviors or lethargic where communication is almost impossible to hold a conversation or engage them. 

It's sad when you see someone you Use to Know become altered because of medication to create someone who is not familiar to you anymore. Many who seek medical treatments for many conditions and not just PTSD - have to endure harsh side effects to ease or try to eliminate their symptoms. For some, these treatments can be as detrimental as the initial symptoms of the medical condition.

In my own learning and application of DBT therapy and 5 senses reprogramming and healthy application of my new gained knowledge - I am learning more about myself than I have ever thought possible to tap into before. 

To restore something that I never could visually, audio, smell, taste, and touch about life and to life of myself. For the years of my traumas began at my earliest memories and never did stop - until I permanently choose to remove myself from the unhealthy, negative, immoral and unlawful people of my life. In this learning, I am gaining - I am finding the new life and birth of myself with my internal 5 senses. An exploring journey of applying new skills to old human processes that truly are liberating and rewarding. 

It does leave me to wonder - how many are fully aware of the internal powers of possession that each of us do have with regards of our 5 senses? How many do give conscience awareness to our 5 senses? How many realize and value their self as high regards as I do and to help one's self - even if it means you take a path that is not discovered before?

The Buddha summaries contributed extensively behind the Dialectical Behavior Therapy focus. Basically, it is to be consciously aware of everything you do in life daily and conscious of your 5 senses. 

When you sit, you sit. You feel the gravity that holds you down into the foundation of your chair or cushioned seat. You feel the cold or the warmth of room temperature on your derriere surrounded by the material upon which you sit. You appreciate the firmness or softness beneath you that supports your back with your feet stationary and planted on the floor. You appreciate the scent and taste of familiar or something new in the air of your favorite spot in which you are sitting. You acknowledge the visuals before you and the fulfillment they give you or at least admiration for what your eyes see as you sit. You hear the sounds of life around you that make this sitting like no other that has come nor will again. You lay your hands to touch the top of your thighs to feel their warmth or cold depending on where you are at.

You make time to be present in everything you do and every one you are around. You make time to Observe - Describe without judging what your 5 senses are doing. You Participate in each and every moment with an awareness that creates peacefulness, serenity and belonging where ever you go and whatever you do.

It's an elementary skill - in a sense - for someone who has endured trauma that has become adversely and medically altered in their 5 senses and to tame the viciousness of triggers that PTSD causes in the Fight or Flight Response. Makes me wonder how many really sit and acknowledge in consciousness the peaceful serenity of engaging and interacting with their 5 senses as I summarize in this?

I could imagine that children more so than adults - would engage their 5 senses and summaries as I have shared more than adults do or are consciously aware of. 

I can not see many adults really embracing the peaceful and serenity of life's most unique and new experiences by being silently conscious to awareness of the power they do hold in their 5 senses.

In sharing my new learning skills with my daughter - it's amazing that even in her youth - as a teenager - that she is losing and not aware of her own 5 power of her senses. External stimuli does silently hijack us all in our ability to consciously become aware of our 5 senses and their uses in our lives. 

For example, our topic was of fright and being scared of the dark. The movies she enjoys of entertainment in horror flicks has played a major factor in her fright responses to dark and being generally scared in the dark factors. 

I find it funny and sweet, as she did not. But in sharing with her about fright and being scared, it helped us gained a better understanding of one another and the way we use the same emotions differently but the same and how our 5 senses function and operate to absorb life differently in each of us. A very enlightening and special conversation to say the least. Based upon my own learning and sharing this learning with her created a valued and memorable conversation too.

Our abilities to empower our 5 senses can occur through learned skills but it will decline in age. It is nature and medical genetics working against us. But the power or powerless we feel or emotions created by medical circumstances, is still a personal responsibility we have to our self. We might not be responsible for all the problems we have but we do have a responsibility to try to solve them or at least live peacefully with them.

If we do not feel something is working and we have the means or do not have the means - not all hope will be lost because the answers will be out there. 

The new skills of adapting or accepting can be found and applied how we need them to be to help us inour quality of life - no matter what any medical prognosis maybe. I feel that we can help our prognosis and quality of life by personal perception. 

Can I say that PTSD can be healed? No. But can it potentially be controlled and even managed without stalling or stopping life - that it has done for many. Yes - I do believe it can. Depending on the personal drive, want, desire, and motivation a patient of PTSD wants to obtain and the objectives they set for them self - new skills can help anyone to help them self and achieve the quality of life they want if they are willing.

Many of the ideas I have shared in my life has been first perceived as crazy, insane or abnormal of the normal social acceptances of practiced standards of order - that it can be nothing more than a believer's dream against a skeptic's logical and rational reasoning. 


But sometimes, logic, reasoning, and emotional balancing are nothing more than that of a believer versus the skeptic race in humanity anyways. What if the real answers to our solutions do begin and really end within our self? Why do we have anything to fear or lose when it could potentially be the reward of gain we have wished to achieve and find for our self and apply to our life?

Embrace your 5 senses while you have them. Engage them. Enjoy them. Appreciate them. For one day, these will be gone in yourself medically as a Person You Use to Know too.

No comments:

Post a Comment