Thursday, November 21, 2013

Effective - To be or not to be

A Person I Use to Know would skillfully learn and apply new information to accomplish a goal or set realistic objectives with positive expectations that would come to pass with successful results. 

This person used an old acronym from the United States Postal Service. As a former employee, the benefit of this formula was a general standard in writing one's internal resume when seeking job promotions. The STAR was this. Situation/Task - Action - Result. 

In writing a resume of STAR concept - one would take the Situation/Task they endured. Then write their course of action they took to solve the problem. Then detailing the positive or negative experience learned from this. This person I refer too was me. But I never lost the value of STAR, even when I was not effectively applying it to my own life for it's value to me is greater now than I needed back then and perhaps, sharing this flip of something I learned back then - others can use the same concept to fulfil and be effective in your life as you choose to be.

Through out time as the Person I Use to Know in myself has got complicated, complex, emotionally and medically altered that I forgot about my own STAR that I used to apply daily in my life to be effective and productive. 

Let's be honest, when a life crisis occurs with the death of a loved one or a job loss or employment changes or even financial income declines - it can be stressful, detrimental and very difficult when life tosses a person a diagnosis or complex circumstances that they lack control over or their direct actions results in unfavorable major lifestyle changes.

Life happens. Life will happen. Life can be blissful one second and total unrecognizable the next. 

That's just how life rolls. Financial matters really have nothing to do with the comfort or maneuvering of life as one thinks. It can assist in the fundamentals of survival basics. But when intensity increases of sudden changes - money becomes the object. 

The reality left is who you are and how well equipped you are to handle the extreme highs or lows that occur. Personally, I feel we all could use a daily educational dose of something to add to the tool kits of our life. Even if, the education or knowledge isn't directly applied at that moment of learning - it can be retained to pull from when uncertainty or devastation happens. Most of us just wing it in life. I found that out from talking with so many diverse people in my life from many cultures.

Our social acceptance cultures have drastically changed in the last 50 years of what use to be and what is socially acceptable now. That goes for everything we do electronically to even the lessons taught in public education and even how medicine and science is practiced and supplied to patients.

Just as society and civilizations change through history - so does the need and requirements for the very tools we use do change in their purpose and objectives in our lives too. 

What once was considered a luxury of a television or a land line phone in a home is now a necessity all around us because of social practices and socially defined as living well or healthy just because we have these tools. 

What once was considered unimaginable to effectively treat individuals with mental illness or use prosthetics for amputees is common day practice now. What reading glasses once took primary care of for failing eye sight and as the only prescription as remedy - is now being replaced with laser eye surgeries and contact lens. 

Wow - hasn't time and our definitions of tools and the words of necessity and survival slipped by us somehow without our consciousness to be aware and alert of so much? Like we have become so accustomed to the lifestyle of culture around us and by participating and adhering to - is it any wonder that in our self moments of reflection as A Person I Use to Know we too - are not the same person that we were 20 years ago.

Think about it. What was important to you 20 years ago? Who was important in your life 20 years ago that is no longer active in your life now? What were you doing 20 years ago that you enjoyed? What did you do 20 years that you regret now or made a mistake that taught you a valuable lesson about your life or those in your life? What was your bucket list of 20 years ago? Now, what have you did from that bucket list in these 20 years? 

Think about this. What once was an obscure idea for survival that worked back in the day is now the very luxuries or comforts we have all around us. 

Individuals of history had a valuable quality to them that I fear our current day generation has forgotten. In their moments of darkest survivals that we could not comprehend - they invented. They created. They built tools out of whatever they had and applied them in whatever they needed to in order to survive. 

Our electricity was created and grids we all share now because of these innovators. The vehicles that once served as basic transportation for farming needs, goods and family or community growths and prosperity are now luxuries compiled of more things than a vehicle needs but yet ensure our survival of mobility too. 

So why it is so difficult now to be socially acceptable in new inventions or new innovators or new tool application in our current day time? Are we actually regressing in social acceptance standards and failing to adhere to the survival importance of things that are new, different or unheard of yet? One person's acts of survival in desperation could be indeed another's remedy. Something to ponder - don't you think?

To be effective or not to be all comes down to personal choice and having the tools or skills to do it and even the desire to learn a new tool or skill. This is individually personal. It always was and always will be. 

Until we as the human race can learn to be experts or professionals about everything that this life has to offer us - the best we can hope for and believe in and work to is becoming a better, positive and more fulfilled and effective person our self so in 20 years from now when we gaze back at our self - we can smile upon the effective productions we did that was important to us and allowed us to embrace even the sad, grieving or difficult lessons that we learned only through our mistakes. Never regretting nor forgetting all the miles we traveled and mountains we had to climb to reach the exact second we live in now. 

We can never get a do over. The best we can hope for or try to achieve is remembering the STAR as it was taught to me and I share with you now to apply to your life - if you choose - as I am effectively applying to my life now also.

Problems arise. That is life. So when a Situation/Task occurs. Think and research if you have to of the actions you would like to take or obtain new skills to achieve to reach the results that you want to do. Then go for it. 

The Internet is a wonderful tool and skillful building organization as much as it ever was for social fun, social media, social games or entertainment playing. It can help build a way of life that you never knew was out there for you to achieve. I am still learning. I have learned many positives from using the Internet as a tool in my life. I recommend it to anyone who is self-motivated to create and be that immediate effective creation you want to be.

Many times, the feedback, rejections, circumstances and complexities that occur with being around people can indeed drain you. Empty your resources. Empty your hope. Empty your own standards, morals and definitions of what life means to you. It does happen. 

The person you thought you loved who never truly loved you back. The person you thought was your best friend who was only using you. The people who you thought had your back but all they did was stab you. It does happen to all of us. But personal perception is important to know and grow in one's self as it is about others. No one can help anyone who is not ready nor disbelieves that effective help exists to them.

I share this brief log today from my therapy. My therapist is happy and hopeful of the skills I am gaining to help primarily my PTSD. But feels that medication can do more for my Bipolar. 

I convinced this professional to give me 6 months. I want to continue to effectively grow my emotional skills and apply the knowledge as I have been on the 8 primary emotions. Then I want to work with Bipolar therapy of alternative methods. Until I resolve, learn, and gain new skills to tame the PTSD side effects and the triggers it has caused me, medication will only camouflage a source of the medical problems I have. 

I am not a fan of prescription medication. For some it does work, but my own fears of the harsh effects I have experienced is not a bridge I am ready to cross just yet. For all the times, I have tried this or that and never completed or simply failed at in medical treatments, I feel the affirmation and validity of what I am doing. So after talking the hour session that I paid for so this person would listen to me I analyzed. 

This is what I walked away with that I documented. I share it with others of kindred spirit as I who do believe in the skillfulness of effectiveness that can occur when we do not limit our self in calling a hammer simply a hammer or a stapler simply a stapler.

My therapist maybe right that my Bipolarwill  require prescription medication to benefit my quality of life but I am not ready to try that just yet. The writings I shared from worksheets for the PTSD and 5 senses reprogramming and modification appeared to be effectively beneficial to me from the doctor's observations and medical evaluations of 2 years of seeking treatment. The therapist did compliment my unique yet entertaining writing abilities of my new knowledge that I shared. 

The thing is - this therapist is a professional doctor. The knowledge and experiences of this therapist does give insight and views of a side of life that I only know through my immediate issues, circumstances and medical conditions. The views represented are not detrimental with mention of prescription medications nor invaliding my personal mission to learn new skills. A professional's experiences and standard treatment along with a personal opinion of observations and nothing more. 

Effective actions is all I can do and let the rest go. Even in talking with the professional therapist or people in general - I control the harbor. I control how the storms arise and fade in me. No one else can and I can not stop it for them.

I have come to realize in life there are those who do capture the missed spellings of a word or the wrong placement of a question mark. Punctual and politically accurate individuals will miss the valid points of a message with their personal interpretations of life around them and all they do and see or read. This is OK.

Some people will see and engage the sight to only the obvious visibles of blue or red colors displayed. Others will use sight to not only see the obvious but admire deeper to appreciate the value that blue and yellow have to make that color green. This is OK.

I am one that gazes deeper and feels deeper. All the above is OK. Knowing when to share and when to let  go. Even in those who miss the depths of a rainbow or color pigments - it comes down to choice.

Choice to engage. Choice to describe. Choice to participate. Or personal choice to do nothing at all and follow in the same path and trails of life that one has always done. There is a peace and admiration in that too. 

Self-acceptance. Acceptance of others. Walking together in difference on this bridge of the human race that we all share. That's as basics as it gets. Once an individual can fully accept this and be honest to self - the rest is the STAR for your taking to achieve the effectiveness you want for your life too. 

No comments:

Post a Comment