Thursday, October 31, 2013

Halloween is a Holiday

If there was any holiday on a calendar that had the most controversy of the southern rural demographics of where I was rooted and bred - it was the holiday of Halloween. Yes - Halloween does have a right to be noted as a Holiday. If it was not a holiday then why would they publish it on a USA calendar?

But controversies do exist about this day of: costumes, fun, celebrating, treating the children with candy and many bountiful Happy Halloween greetings. Religious I have heard feel it is only enhancing the evil spirits or evil actions of the world. Some do complain about this holiday when they are not into diverse fashion attire and may feel costumes are a waste of time, money and good fabric resources. 

But above all that is sensed more than anything of Halloween is community. Communities all across America coming together to honor the innocence and ever lasting happiness that children lighten this world with and the appreciation for life that they give to us adults. 

The celebrating that adults do with one another in assembly together with music, agendas of games, fun, dancing and contests of who can be the most original or even the very Halloween dedicated who say their Wedding Vows are on a holiday of Halloween.

I can respect those who choose to participate or do not participate. Regardless, that day on the Halloween Holiday calendar still affects each of us for our own personal reasons. 

The dread to see it come. The sorrow of Halloweens past that will never be again or the simple gratefulness that this year of Halloween is gone. 

If the Halloween holiday had a political affiliation it would be of its standing - not liberal nor conservative but community based in the focus of a memorable agenda. If it were only that easy to spread Halloween happy community cheer daily in politics, but it isn't.

Halloween was always one of my favorite holidays to enjoy for myself as well with others. This holiday was as much as about my own creativity of costume creation and feeling decorated one time a year where you could be anything imaginable and accepted with a smile from others even without a word of Hello. 

There was no judgmental statements or hidden agendas to worry about of trust or truthful issues. It was about a day of having fun and sharing that fun with others. 

I do miss the Person I Use to Know who could do up a Halloween as no other. But now that my daughter is almost a grown lady with her own agenda,  I get memory lane this year and vivid pictures that lets me know that I have had a great and wonderful life indeed.

It's amazing the community you do gain in your life when you travel back on memory lane or have mementos or pictures to remind you of them good old days. Even if the way we express or share in our communities nowadays based upon what we must endure or accept as our life now - we can always be happy in celebrating any holiday just because we gain the peace, knowledge, and comfort that we have lived! We have celebrated! We have expressed our self for who we were and was accepted on that day known as Halloween. 

If you are really lucky, you have a loaded rainbow of people from your life to recall upon of those that did hate Halloween - those who kept you young in Halloween - those who celebrated with you on Halloween and those lovely couples that said their hopeful and eternal, "I Do," wedding vows on a Happy Halloween holiday.

Halloween is no doubt my favorite holiday of the year. It is the community of what Halloween represents. The time of year where children are their happiest next to the Christmas holiday perhaps - but it is the time of year where children teach us adults how to let loose - but for one day a year and enjoy the internal youthfulness we still have within us too.

As I sit here tonight on Halloween all solo, by choice, I am happy in knowing that I have had a good Halloween today by traveling back in visual photos of Halloween. It's amazing to know for every year that calendar flips upon the next holiday that even if it does change who or what we are - that we are only a memory away from enjoying the celebrations that makes all holidays a happy one.

I must say in this holiday evaluation of prior years that I realize my costume of choice has been avoidance and procrastination. They have become my two greatest protectors for along time now in my life. It's avoiding many things simply because it's easier for me. Avoiding a hardship while avoiding living life to the fullest it does have too offer as well. 

Avoidance does enforce procrastination as a terrible duet to partake in. Because the longer one can sit with their head in idle or their heart and body motionless - the safer one does feel that no more harm, hurt, pain, frustrations, complications or excessiveness of stress can consume them. 

It's two horrible defenses to have in life. If these two items were costumes they would surely be the ugliest or scariest costumes to be created. But since they are invisible when looking upon a person without further observation or examination of their actions; it would be easy to miss the avoidance or procrastination in our self and others too.

I never really used these words in my vocabulary to define me for along time until they really started to become introduced to me with medical symptoms. I understand the medical science of avoidance in medical conditions but procrastination shouldn't have to be a partner with avoidance! Nor should avoidance and procrastination be accepted as coping skills.

So by next Halloween I do hope to shed this Avoidance and Procrastination three-some costume I am wearing this year - so that by the time this holiday rolls again next year that I will be actively participating in the community of it - anywhere but here. 

No that here is that bad tonight but looking back upon those pictures of a lady I use to know in myself who made leaps and bounds to be a community participant of holidays especially Halloween - I want to be that person again for my costume next year.

Some say New Year's Resolutions are the way to go to think about change, produce change, and be effective in change for one's personal betterment. I think they got it all wrong. 

Halloween Resolutions is where it needs to be because the person of costume you are this year will be different next year and by focusing this Halloween on who you are and the Halloween of next year - you can make a fun change in your life as well have plenty of time to do it. 

Besides, when you tell people that you have Happy Halloween resolutions they will not ask you any more questions about it nor will they beat you up verbally if you fail to achieve them! Saying you have a Halloween Resolution will deter them from getting consumed in what you are doing for yourself anyways! Happy Halloween and may it be a good one for you this year and I wish that next Halloween will be a better Person You Use to Know for yourself too!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment