Sunday, January 26, 2014

The Culture Where Hobby Has Died

Do you have a hobby? What does the word - hobby - mean to you personally? Do you even know IF you have a hobby? Do you place value upon your hobby? Do you commitment time for a hobby? Have you EVER had a hobby that you enjoyed?

A Person I Used to Know could have been described as a multi-tasking compulsive hobbyist. Every thing that a pen could construct upon paper in print to what ever her imagination to take to materialize; she was a hobbyist. For she could contain her joys of creativity to only one aspect of life nor more than she could detail her favorite musician nor her favorite movie. This gal was and still is me.

The free dictionary - http://www.thefreedictionary.com/Hobby- details the facts of: "Hobby" as the following:

- An activity or interest pursued outside one's regular occupation and engaged in primarily for pleasure

- Something a person enjoys doing (usually frequently) in his/her spare time and not for pay 

- An activity pursued in spare time for pleasure or relaxation

- An activity or interest pursued for pleasure or relaxation and not as a main occupation 

- A child's hobbyhorse - a stick with a wooden horse's head or a rocking horse as a child's toy.

Now that the primary facts of Hobby have been established, what are your hobby or hobbies? Do you ever use your free time or make dedicated free time for you to enjoy safe, healthy, happy and fulfilling hobbies? Do you achieve production with your hobby that increases visual pleasures in your home? Do you make time to listen to songs that make you feel good or happy? Do you enjoy watching and listening to your favorite TV programs as a form of a hobby? What do you do in your spare time for pleasure or relaxation?

The facts of a child's hobbyhorse comes to my mind. A hobby is something that you do for yourself that you do enjoy. Something that helps you to feel better about yourself or improve yourself. Or even something that helps you relax to sleep a resting night.

Children use to embrace the hobbyhorse as a way to pass time and enjoy entertainment or fantasy playing on their toy. For they could be a cowboy or cowgirl and mimic what the horse would say like Mr. Ed, the talking horse used to do in a TV show. They could pretend they were playing cowboys and Indians. They could pretend the horse on a wooden stick was their friend or pet. Children are great hobbyists or used to be anyways.

In this age of technology where Internet has exploded the social networking with typing, texting improper grammar and endless ideas of how to do anything you want to create on YouTube, today's society lacks being individual and independent hobbyist.

Video games, games online, sharing social websites, and blogging have long been the way for the person to share these new electronic hobbies with the world. To socialize with anyone almost anywhere on the globe. But what does an electronic hobby have and produce that social interactions can not give?

For those of us who know the value, fun, memorable and excitement of sharing in face-to-face interactions and being mobile together to get out and about to take a walk in nature or to see a live concert or even merely to sit in public to eat a favorite restaurant - the Internet can not really replace hobby - but it will and has - as long as people partake.

My favorite social gatherings I have ever attended, even in professional platforms, was to see friends and associates that I admired and enjoyed their company in the job. To see how their family, friends, and they were doing personally. To see their facial expressions if they were happy or lying that their life was actually alright or not. To hear their laughter personally and in my face, even when, they'd get embraced at getting giggly over something immature in a professional capacity as our many meetings were.

Many I worked with through the years, did not have time for hobbies, even though; many of us shared what we liked to do - if given time - versus what time allowed us to actually do. However, I believe personal hobbies that contribute or help a person is a valuable asset in helping a person to become healthier by being engaged their own self happiness that produces peace, fun, and entertainment for whatever a person enjoys as their hobby.

I am not talking about alcohol, illegal drugs, prescription medications, wine, reckless sexual behavior, irresponsible gambling, unlawful or addictive behavior that hurts a person as a hobby either.

I am speaking of the arts of life that are becoming forgotten. The quilters, the wood workers, the metal players, the fabric creations, the word or print of sharing intuition, musical learning for play - not profit and anything else a person can do to create something out of nothing; as a primary example of a hobby.

But hobby can go even further than that. What do you enjoy doing by yourself? How do you spend your time when no one is around or every one else in your life is gone? What do you really do for you?

A hobby is anything that requires no money or at least a little for investment only. Not a hobby that sales something for then it becomes business. But what helps you relax? What helps you to hear joy? What helps you to feel good, even if only a second? What makes your eyes grateful they can see? What makes your hands or arms or body happy that you can still apply yourself to achieve something for your primary self? What smells or scents do you enjoy from the creations you make?

I have more hobbies than time will ever allow me to enjoy and fulfill for myself. But, I commit every day to doing a hobby that I love for myself and by myself. Even when I worked, it was always important for me to have hobby time. Having my hobby time has been a health improving asset my whole life; even when medically; it was everything but gloom of the prognosis of some of my condition.

I share my blog to attempt to help others but writing has been a very dear part of my soul ever since I learned to write. I would line my teddy bears to play pretend school as a kid to grade their scores. Writing and sharing this is a hobby for me; not for profit. I have never been a for-profit person. Believe you me and I tried with the best of advisers that a person could have on their side to help them to profit.

But tooting my own horn was never my personal strength. For everything I have ever done or did in the passions or com passions of my hobbies; were gifts to me that I felt I had or could learn or should pursue and help others to find and do the same thing for them self. So it's like this in my life, I share. If I more forward, then I help others to do the same thing. If I learn something through my experiences of life, I share this to ease the journey of another or to let them know - that is maybe bad right now; but have patience for the better days will return.

When you carry hobbies with you every day and attempt in full effort to make it happen; you will feel better. Time will feel kinder and more plentiful to you. You will appreciate yourself, just like the kid on a hobbyhorse does, when they play.

Hobbies should never die in any culture or social practices we live in. For hobbies are a gift that we give our self and no one can take away or no time can dissolve without our permission. For a hobby is our time to be our self, enjoy our self, and fulfill our self as only we can.

I do alot of sewing by hand and on a sewing machine that I am learning to use. Sewing by hand is very time consuming but peaceful, calm and though the stitch takes more work than a sewing machine can whip out in a few minutes. For me, there is something primitive about sewing by hand. Personalizing my creations even more. Challenging myself to the highest level of production I could give, just to see what I can make and create with my own hands.

The sewing machine on the other hand has taught me more about myself than I care to know. I get very impatient relying upon another or even building trust with anything. Even with inanimate objects as a sewing machine, a person must learn what makes it mechanical operate and do maintenance but they also must learn the gadgets that spruce up fabric, the multiple needles and thread quality for the fabric being worked on. Even then with the best of knowledge, it is still just a machine. Like a car, phone, computer, tablet or TV - it can break down. It can have issues. It is not a perfect science with every consecutive stitch. For the bobbin can get off track or unwind. The thread break. The fabric get in a bind when assisting the machine to pull fabric through.

I am learning patience with this sewing machine. The foot presser pedal is similar to a gas pedal in a vehicle. The harder you push the pedal, the faster it will go. The harder you push the foot presser pedal on a sewing machine, the faster it will go too and sometimes that is not always a good idea depending on what you are working with. In learning patience to keep trying and not giving up and not being afraid to practice with blends of fabrics, needles, and threads and greasing the machine; it is helping to realize that I can still do it. I can still create, learn, and make something out of nothing to materialize which are my favorite hobbies to do. It has taken me many years to attempt a sewing machine. But now that I am, it's a wonderful list to my huge hobby list I enjoy.

When considering the questions asked here, go back into time of the Person You Used to Know of what your favorite hobbies were and perhaps, revive them in your life now. Consider seasonal hobbies too. I do have seasonal hobbies due to the weather in West Virginia that gives all Four Seasons country to live in. But for each changing season, I have hobbies to enjoy and always look forward too.

So consider reviving the hobby in your life or helping someone else to grow or find their own. Hobby can only die when we quit applying one to our daily life. It's never too late to start so begin your hobby today!

No comments:

Post a Comment